Friday, June 19, 2015

Stella "I Give No Fucks" Gibson

 

The singular thing I have been unable to get out of my head for the last week is Stella Gibson.  For the uninitiated, DSI Stella Gibson is the main character on the BBC show The Fall.  The show first aired in 2013 to much acclaim, but like the brits do (Luther is another great example), they didn't anticipate a second season.  AND by the time they decided they wanted to do S2, the actors were booked on other projects.  They ultimately shot and aired S2 (albeit two years later) and have now announced a S3 (shooting to begin in 2016).  

As is a theme here, for some reason I never payed much attention to Gillian Anderson.  Granted I really loved Playing By Heart, but of course that played right into my AJ obsession.  Maybe it was the red hair (or the bad shoulder pads?) she had for the decade long X-Files era, maybe it was the fact that she just hadn't entered into my prime age group yet.  There is no denying her power and sex appeal now.  You should also check out Dorothy Snarker's recaps of the show because she is a far better writer than I.

Stella gives us a grammar lesson


The thing that makes Stella so attractive is her attitude (do you see that shoulder holster?!).  She is neck deep in a man's world with no shortage of blatant misogyny.  But, she give absolutely no fucks what her co-workers, subordinates, or superiors think of her.  She knows she excels at her job, is attractive, and can use her brain, her body, or both to get what she wants.  She may be a control freak, but I am okay with that.  She is in command through the entirety of the aforementioned one night stand.  Stella makes heterosex hot, and the show turns the tables on conventional depictions of intercourse by keeping her clothes on and making him remove his.  She barely lets him touch her.

I was quite smitten with the first season, and the only thing that I can think of that kept me from watching S2 as soon as it was available in January is this feeling I have now. I am left wishing I had more to watch.  The possibility of its greatness no longer exists as I have simultaneously extinguished it and ignited my desire for more. For a new day, another moment in the life of Stella Gibson.  I can no longer think to myself, "I wonder what happens in S2?  I wonder if Stella is still amazing? Does Stella catch Paul? Is Stella sexually flexible?  I wonder if Stella and Reed Smith will hook up?" and so on.  

Stella/Reed Smith explored


For a narration of all the thoughts me, and you, and everyone else were thinking (mainly get on that damn elevator), leave it to Dorothy Snarker.  I just have to give a shout out to Archie Panjabi.  I have always loved her, and even though she left The Good Wife, her gracing us with two/three? seasons of this show is a fair trade.  Here is a shipper video in case you want to see their chemistry.  I mean those outfits.  Archie is in the ranks with Mariska scoring solid 10s in leather jacket wearing.  Stella's outfits are nothing to sneeze at.  Those lovely long coats, silk blouses galore, and she is so unabashed about her body, a trait so rarely seen in female characters on television.

The only thing left to do is to relive the greatness that is Stella Gibson through clips, and wait, and wait, and wait...until S3 airs.  Fingers crossed for a short post-production time.


 Stalla is Boss
 
 


No comments: